Friday, August 15, 2008

life...a Nancy Drew mystery book in reality

written June 19, 2006

Ok, so I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Nancy Drew mystery books, but I used to love reading them when I was younger. I especially liked the ones where I, as the reader, got to control the story and at the end of the chapter, it gave me a few options and I turned to the page that was listed next to wherever I wanted the story to go. And more times than not, I would always read what happened with the other options as well.

I've been thinking lately, and life is somewhat like that. Each day you have millions of choices, from getting up the first time your alarm goes off to deciding what you're going to eat, to developing your relationship with God and with other people. And each choice leads to another series of choices. Yes, some are more important than others, but all life boils down to is choices. Some of us, are a little more curious than others. Instead of taking the wise counsel of others, we always seem to have to figure it out for ourselves. Others of us, make choices based on the outcome of choices that were made for us or on choices that we had to make unwillingly. And it seems like once a negative choice is made, it's hard to jump back to the positive. But, eventually, it's done and you realize how much better the positive choices are and you decide to never go back to the way it was.

Unfortunately, some choices are with you for the rest of your life. And no matter how hard you try to justify the choice you made with choices that were made for you, it's still ultimately your own responsibility.

So, all you younger tykes out there, remember that your future depends on who you are today. Make strong, Godly based choices. Decide to take a stand for God and not let anything or anyone convince you otherwise. And if something happens to you or a choice is made that affects your life but you can't control, don't let it spin you off the straight and narrow. Not saying that people aren't going to make mistakes or wrong choices, but it will be so much better to stand strong.

Don't be the type of person that has to experience everything personally, take the wise counsel of those who have walked life a little longer and who are where you would eventually like to be. Which brings me to my next point, don't judge someone based on their past choices. If they are truly commited to God and have repented, then give them grace. Isn't that what God is all about? I don't know about ya'll but I definitely don't deserve what Jesus did. And I don't think there is a single person here who does. But He doesn't care, He just wants a relationship with each one of us. So accept Him and accept yourself. And for the love people, accept each other.

No comments: