Friday, August 15, 2008

Waiting

written July 16, 2007
Psalm 40:1-2
"I waited patiently for the Lord. He turned to me and heard my cry for help. I was sliding down into the pit of death, and he pulled me out. He brought me up out of the mud and dirt. He set my feet on a rock. He gave me a firm place to stand on." (New International Readers)

"I waited and waited and waited for God. At last he looked; finally he listened. He lifted me out of the ditch, pulled me from deep mud. He stood me up on a solid rock to make sure I wouldn't slip." (Message)

I am gonna start out by saying I'm not a very patient person. I like instant rice, instant tan, instant results and when it comes to things that take a little longer such as a good, hearty meal, fitness, or even the things of God, I tend to give up a little too soon because it's not happening now - in my timing. But a few months ago I made the choice to not give up this time. That I was going to do whatever it took to get the life that God has for me. If it takes the rest of my life, I'm going to keep seeking God and pressing into Him because it's worth it. Daily I have to remind myself that "I wait patiently". There are things in my life that I've done - by choice or circumstance - they've happened. And I've had to learn that God wants to deliver me. From addictions, thoughts, beliefs, inadequacies, He wants me to live a full and rewarding life. For far too long I fell into the pattern of the past dictating an inevitable future. Thinking that because I already have ____ that I always will ___. But that is such wrong thinking.

At least when I have Jesus. Acts 16 starting around verse 25. It talks about the circumstances that Paul and Silas were in. They were trapped in a pit. But they still chose to turn their focus to Jesus and instantaneously He brought their deliverance. Through this, they became closer to Jesus and so did many others. I think sometimes God ordains a wait simply because He enjoys the togetherness that it produces. I know when I'm waiting for an appointment or for a flight or really for anything, it's much more appealing if someone is there with me. Even if we aren't talking, just the fact that they are there is more comforting than being there alone.

God will do whatever it takes to bring us to Him. For some, He'll deliver them instantly. Others (including myself), to teach patience and reach togetherness it may be a longer process. The comforting thing to remember through the longer process is that even though we may have to wait for deliverance, we'll never have to wait to enjoy His presence or to be reassured of His love. The only wait is on seeing His work manifest in the physical realm; seeing our petition come to fruitation.

"waited patiently" - qwh (kaw-vaw) [Hebrew] - expect; goal-oriented character of the verb qwh. Waiting is a freaking VERB! It means we're doing something! The same Hebrew word in Psalm 40:1-2 for waited patiently is found in Isaiah 64:3-4 "Your fearsome deeds have completely amazed us; even the mountains shake when you come down. You are the only God ever seen or heard of who works miracles for his followers. " In Psalm 40, David didn't just sit around twiddling his thumbs until God delivered him. He postured himself in absolute expectation! He had a goal and he wouldn't slump until he saw it fulfilled. A lot of times, right before I give up and try my own thing, the thought of "God isn't doing anything so what's the point?" But it's so important that I push that fear of God not being at work while I'm waiting because He's doing what no one else can do because He will do whatever it takes to show Himself mighty! Revelation 1:8 talks about how within every "is", God is mindful of what "was" and what "is to come".

God has the capacity to mark your entire family line! And if it takes my life of sacrifice and surrender to make my families see the power and blessings of God then it's totally worth it! So now what do I do while I'm waiting? If I'm not supposed to just sink back and spectate while God does His thing, what the heck am I supposed to do? Psalm 130 talks about more waiting and it's the same Hebrew word - qwh - imagine that! "With all my heart, I am waiting, LORD, for you! I trust your promises. I wait for you more eagerly than a soldier on guard duty waits for the dawn. Yes, I wait more eagerly than a soldier on guard duty waits for the dawn." It's talking about lieing in wait for someone, to expect, await, look for patiently, hope, to be confident, trust; to be enduring. Man, I get tired just thinking of all those words! Waiting is hard work! So it's time to stand up and watch! Anticipate my absolute, inevitable deliverance.

As we watch and anticipate we can practice the other part of - qwh - that I mentioned earlier - to be together (by twisting). Wrap yourself around Him as tightly as you possibly can. Bind yourself to Him so you will go anywhere He does. NEVER let go! Pin yourself to Him - so close that you can almost hear Him whisper!

Father, I cry out to You for deliverance. Deliverance from thoughts of inadequacy. Deliverance from fears of success, fears of failure, the fear of fear. Deliverance from physical ailments and conditions. I thank You that You are working on my behalf. So that not only can I be free from the things of the world, but my family and the people I come in contact with can rejoice in Your freedom as well. I thank You that during this time of waiting that I am so close to You I can hear Your heartbeat. I ask You to make me more God-aware than I have ever been in my life. I am waiting for You, Lord. Patiently waiting for You. I'm confident that You will complete the work in which You started. I trust that You have a future filled with hope and success! I commit myself to You and Your ways. Like a little kid who just can't get enough of their mom or day, I wrap myself around You and just hold on for the ride. God, it's been a great one so far and I know it can only get better. It's all worth it - to know that in the end You will get the mighty show that You deserve. I give You all the praise and all the glory! I love You, Father!"

No comments: