Friday, August 15, 2008

joy

written August 13, 2008

The past few weeks have been rough. I've gone through every emotion I can imagine: fear, anger, sadness, happiness, excitement, peace. You name it, I've experienced it. At the beginning of the year I always choose a verse or passage to reflect on and stand upon throughout the year. This year it was Philippians 3:7-11. I've been very determined this year to seek after God and get to know Jesus.

Throughout the year, I've gotten distracted here and there with various situations, but I always come back to focusing on Him. But over the course of the last few weeks it's become tougher to choose life. I began to build a wall up around my heart. Harboring all the emotions I was feeling to appear "strong".

As I was driving to Kansas this morning, I was listening to Joyce Meyer's series "pressing in and pressing on". In it, she states 'anyone who has victory has to press' and to get to victory one must 'press against the pressure that presses you'. I realized that by harboring these emotions, I'm making myself weaker and not trusting God to give me strength. After all, isn't His strength made perfect in my weakness?

So I'm determined to press against the fleshly desire to be depressed and stand strong in the joy God has called me to live in. I believe there is a place in God that if a person presses on, no matter what happens they can have a peace that passes ALL understanding and a joy that will not be dictated by their circumstances.

As I write this, I'm reminded of my verse from last year, philippians 4:6-7. As I was reading it tonight, I noticed verse 5 - "rejoice in the Lord ALWAYS" and I realized that in every situation I face - including suffering - I must learn, as a child of God, to rejoice and gain strength by remembering His goodness, faithfulness, and His promises.

Joy is a vital part of salvation and the foundation to a close personal relationship with the savior. It's based on God's immeasurable love for us and a grasp of the peace and hope we have because of what Christ has done for us. It reflects an inner peace and delight in God - the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Because I know the Lord, I can rest assured in His promises - to never leave me and to never give me more than I can handle. I can stand steadily in the joy of knowing He loves me and this life is eternal.

The peace of God is not based on emotion or circumstance. Its based on the solid foundation of a relationship with God. It's a firm confidence that Jesus is near and God's love has been activated in our lives to generate good. When we commit our fears, anxieties, and doubts to God, His peace will guard our hearts. His peace will prevent the heartaches of life from disturbing our relationship with Him. Under God's "protective custody" we will feel safe and be able to rejoice in Him.

My prayer

Father, I thank You so much for who You are in my life. Thank You for giving me sufficient grace, more mercy than I could hope for, and comfort when I'm lost in this chaotic life. I thank You for rescuing me and keeping me from evil. Lord, hold me, hug my heart with Your peace. I give You my hurt, frustrations, fears, and my sadness. I rejoice in You and in the power of Your word.I thank You that my grandpa is saved. Even though his time here on earth with us is coming to an end, I am so glad he will get to spend eternity rejoicing with You in heaven. Yes, he will be missed here, but he will be healthy and pain free with You! Thank You for the privilege of knowing You. You are the source of all peace and my strength is found in You. You are my God who provides all I need. You know my thoughts, my fears, my dreams. Thank You for being with me and giving me this hope. Thank You, Holy Spirit, for revealing this truth to me. Help me to get it rooted in my heart so I will not let go of it. I will always have reason to worship You because You are my God - You cared enough to make a way for me - to call me not only Your daughter, but Your friend. I love You, my Savior. I trust in You. I trust the promises in Your Word. You are my king. You are the lover of my soul. Your joy is the basis of my existence. I praise You Father. You are so amazing!

No comments: